Sunday 7 February 2010

Music for my soul...


I love music. For the most part I listen to whatever is playing on the radio in my car or at work. At home I have an i-pod with about 500 songs otherwise I still seem to be in the dark ages and have to play my cd’s on a cd player! And yes, I still own about 50 albums and a couple of tapes, although I have nothing to play these on anymore.

I play music for my moods. As I said, I am usually quite content to listen to the radio until I hear the same current song played for the umpteenth time that day, and then I get fed up. If I’m feeling a bit down I usually listen to Nina Simone or maybe some Jazz or I’ll try and remind myself of somewhere I’ve been travelling and for example, stick on a CD with Argentinian Tangos or Spanish guitar music.

One band I can never get enough of is the Beatles. I wish I’d been a teenager in the late sixties and could have seen them live, I bet that must have been an experience. For me their music is like a history of life. There are love songs, songs about everyday things and songs about loneliness, finding your way, and human nature. I really don’t believe there will ever be another group whose songs are played and used so constantly over thirty years after they broke up.

In the last couple of years I have seen a brilliant film that used Beatles songs in the storyline. It’s called "Across the Universe" and I think it’s well worth a watch. The film really captures the feel of the UK and USA at the beginning of the 70’s with the Vietnam war and the various civil rights/civil unrest going on at the time. I now get a lump in my throat every time I hear Let it Be because of the images from the film. Also in Dec 2009 I saw a theatre production here in Copenhagen called “Come Together” which again was based totally on Beatles songs and made for a wonderful musical and visual two hours of entertainment, but I found it strange there was no real story to it.

Two of my favourite songs from the Beatles are Blackbird and the Long and Winding Road. Both are really simple melodies with poignant lyrics. There are dozens of others that I could mention as well, and what they mean to me, but we’d be here all day!

As for new music, well I like all sorts, rock, pop, soul, r&b, house, garage, techno, you name it. The only thing I really don’t like is most Heavy Metal, and actually, even some of that, is ok. I think though if you look at my cd collection the most things I buy are towards the poppy/rock end. In the last year I have seen Moby, Cold Play and James Morrison live, and they were all great. My current favourite is by a Danish band called "The Rumour Said Fire" and the song is called The Balcony. It is the most sublime, almost folk music, with the weirdest lyrics! But I like it, and it's the first time in a long time that I have gone out and bought the record right after hearing it (or rather I paid and downloaded it to my i-pod)!
Shakespeare said music is the food of love. And I say, play on….!

No comments:

Post a Comment