Thursday 4 February 2010

The big white wonderland.




It is 2 years and 1 month since I visited the most amazing place I am ever likely to go to. I still get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes whenever I get asked about Antarctica. I think the reason I loved it so much is because 99.99999% of it is pristine. Humans cannot exist there except possibly on the Antarctic peninsular for a period of time. Indeed Shackleton and his crew proved that it was possible to survive with very few provisions for approximately 17 months, but I think, although the whole crew survived the ordeal, most were pretty glad to get home again. I like Shackletons statement:

”No person who has not spent a period of his life in those 'stark and sullen solitudes that sentinel the Pole will understand fully what trees and flowers, sun-flecked turf and running streams mean to the soul of a man."

Even though 99.99999% of Antarctica is snow and ice, huge mountains and glaciers there is colour down there. The skies in the summer can be the bluest of blue which break into a myriad of colours as the sun sets. The icebergs that float around are not just white, they can be blue or green and sometimes can have a pink tinge to them.

And of course there is the wildlife. Great big elephant seals, where it can get a little intimidating when the young ones, weighing close to half a ton, come humping closer to you while you’re trying to take a photo! They are just as curious of us as we are of them. Then there are the penguins who are just so funny and entertaining (if a little smelly)! Just a joy to watch while they go about their business, fishing, eating, seeing to the young ones, resting, belly surfing on the snow, and generally doing their thang! And whales. I’ve never seen whales before and we saw plenty of Humpback and Minke whales while we there.

There are days, like today when I wish I was down there again. At least my mobile would be out of range!
















No comments:

Post a Comment